- Eliminate pagers (replacement value: $375) in favour of secure hospital-issued mobile phones.
- Move to electronic medical records integrating primary and hospital/specialist-based care. Family physicians don't need to be sent entire inpatient charts, but they need to have access to them when relevant. The reverse goes for hospital-based physicians and other health care workers.
- How about handheld devices instead of print-outs of patient lists? What is not lacking is the technology so much as the integration of technology.
- More long-term care beds and rehab facilities (community and hospital-based). Far too many patients waiting for ALC or rehab languish in acute care wards that do not provide an ideal environment for them. And it's wasteful.
- Centralize referrals/wait lists to expedite investigations and follow-up. Triage these to determine who is waiting and why.
Thursday, July 15, 2010
A few changes for health care